Choosing a recognised DHET Degree/ Diploma/ Certificate February 3, 2016 10:00

From time to time we have candidates who have completed studies on a tertiary level and have a degree/diploma/certificate from a private institute in South Africa. Prior to studying we would advise that you ensure that the institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET), should you wish to have a recognized qualification. This is important to consider particularly if you plan to work abroad or even within South Africa. Having a qualification with no recognition is a waste of time and money, unless it is job based training. It is also important to note that institutions that are either government funded (UNISA, UCT, UKZN etc.) or are private and have registered their degrees (Please check per course as this may differ on a course by course basis) such as Damelin, have certain standards that they need to adhere too. This ensures that your degree is recognised. Note that there are also Country Educational Profiles (CEP) that determine the standard of an institution. This applies to the UK and Australia. 

The Middle East countries require that tertiary qualifications are registered by the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) for document attestation purposes. The DHET has a list (last updated in 2014) of all registered courses from various private institutions. 

Note that the DHET requires institutions to follow various standards. If the institution is not registered then DHET has no interest nor mandate to sign or confirm the institution is under its authority. Therefore please do not have unreasonable expectations to get a non registered institution, to be stamped by this Government department. 

For certain international courses (such as Microsoft or CISCO) we may be able to use the Notary to attest the documents. Please contact us so that we can advise further either email us using or call +27120032910.